Saturday, September 27, 2008

Living in Jasper: Fall


Its the Autumn, so the Elk are running wild all over the bloody place.

I believe there are two big bulls running around the Lodge with a harem each, this guy was strutting around the car-park the other day.

I've gotten very used to Elk and it took me a minute or two to realise that to see a huge deer wandering absent-mindedly around your apartment complex isnt actually the norm, so I took a picture. I took it from the porch outside our apartment.

The Elk make the brief walk from our car to our apartment a bit more exciting and they make loud rutting noises all day and all night (imagine a strangled horse's neigh mixed with the braying of a donkey), but they also hold up traffic when a dozen American tourists stop to peer at them.

Also, the red and grey rocks of the mountains are being squeezed between a rapidly reddening foliage and an expanding white cap at their peak. Every day it gets a wee bit bigger.

No comments: